Friday, October 10, 2008

Make your own labels Tutorial

I have seen lots of tutorials on how to make your own labels. This is another way not using t-shirt transfer. This works if your ink jet printer feeds from the back and through to the front. If it is one of those printers that the paper bends then have a try but I have only had 50 % luck with that. In this tutorial I am making labels to go on the back of the Christmas Bauble swap us Tassie Blog girls are doing.

First you choose the fabric you want to print on and cut it to the appropriate shape. Then iron it super super flat.



Design your label. For these labels I needed something simple and small. But you can print out anything. You can go as far as designing coloured boarders and all! Print it out on paper that has a bit of weight like bazzil.



Place the piece of fabric over the piece of paper you just printed on - making sure the fabric is correctly positioned over the pre printed words. Attach using masking tape. Masking tape is good - it is cheap but also has good adhesive and removes nice and clean. The secret is attaching the top part of the fabric on to the paper well so it cannot catch. If the fabric starts at the top of the paper I fold it over to the back. If the printing starts further down and the fabric does as well then adhere it well to the paper. Make sure there is no opportunity for the printer to catch it. I then adhere the sides down to make sure the fabric does not move and it maintains that super smooth surface for the printer to print on.



Put that paper plus fabric back into the printer feeder like you did the first time and press print again.



TA DA!


**** If you plan to use these for clothes - check that your ink will not run. I find if I give them a really hot dry iron its sets the ink - but please check first!

11 comments:

Kate said...

Thanks for the tutorial Sarah, I need to make a label for Sophie's quilt this weekend and this is perfect.

Have a great weekend

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is great information! I'll be linking to this.

Cathy said...

How cool....thanks for the tutorial Sarah!! HAve a great weekend! Cathy

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC!!! Thanks I have seen other tutorials but this looks quite do-able. Brillo!! :)

Soo said...

thanks for the tip...this tutorial will definitely come in handy!

Anonymous said...

Oh Thank you so much. I love this idea. I have been wanting to make my own labels.

Leanne said...

Do you never sleep....

SewDelish said...

Thanks will give this a go. Sounds like it might work with my printer!

vlijtig said...

Wow, what a great idea. I never thought of actually putting the fabric itself through the printer. Does this work for any printer?

Liesl said...

What a fantastic idea. I would like to give this a go (I just need to make sure that I don't wreck another printer in the process - you should see what happened when I fed inkjet transfer paper through a laser printer. Ooops!)

Magdalena said...

This is a great tutorial, thanks. Have just finished making my own :) I will be linking to this