Thursday, November 20, 2008

My first sponge...



Victoria at 13MIMOSA did a post about making an Australian Sponge. I am an ashamed Australian - I have never made sponge. Really because so many people have such a phobia for them I decided to stay clear than risk failure.

Victoria kindly offered her recipe for me to do and I made it today. It is kinda a bita thina... Did you see how thick hers is!!!!! I followed your STRICT instructions Victoria. I beated the eggs and sugar till thick and creamy. Did I over fold the flour in? Any less there would have been flour clumps. The middle also sunk a little explaining the cleverly posed photo...

Anyone - any ideas? We are having it for desert shortly. It is filled with cream and jam. Hubby accidentally bought thickened cream than normal cream for me to whip but it will still taste the same...

9 comments:

Victoria said...

Oh dear, I'm sorry, I feel I've failed you somehow! Um, yes, with sponges you can over fold and what I tend to do is fold until it's mostly folded through (it's a definite skill the fold) and then when I put it in the pan if there are any unmixed bits they tend to sit in the bottom and I stir those a little more. Ummm, try sifting the flour into the bowl so it falls in a fine shower so you're folding in less at a time and it will be easier to mix in with less folds.

what else, ummm don't open the oven too much although I don't know if that has any scientific basis with a sponge.

I think it still looks yum though!

CurlyPops said...

It looks delicious anyway. I must confess that I've never tried to make a sponge either.

Anonymous said...

my mother-in-law is the sponge maker in our family, so I do get to enjoy this aussie icon at each family birthday. I haven't tried to make one and admire your efforts! Saw your post over at hoppo bumpo about the granny lace. Would any of it fit folded up into a picture frame, displaying a section of the cloth? That way you could appreciate it without having to cut it.

Sandi said...

Mmmm, sponges are very tricky to make. I, too have had good ones and not so good ones, I think you need to practice a few times.
Yours does look rather yummy.

Kathryn said...

Hey now, remember.. if at first you dont't succeed try try again.
I think it looked very yummy, and would have enjoyed eating it.
I have a great recipe, for a sponge. Even for me the heavy handed cook, it comes out great. I will post in future if you are interested.
With Smiles
Kathryn

Soo said...

still looks good enough to eat!
have to admit, I've given up on making sponges as they always turn out flat. yum!

Kris said...

Not sure what it is with sponges. I think somehow your mind controls the outcome. My 11 year old found a sponge recipe in a kids cooking book and quite often makes them. They turn out pretty good. I guess she doesn't 'know' they are difficult. Keep trying. Yours looks delicious (bet it tasted great!) and practice makes everything better.

Cathy said...

Yum, it looks divine!! Cathy

donna said...

I have had a sponge in ages...so it looks spectacular from where I am sitting!