Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The making of butter

I was so excited at Playgroup last week.

We.made.butter.

The old fashioned way. Kathy brought in a glass bottle with a wooden peg and poured cream in. We then shook the damn thing for a long time. 45 minutes she said. I do not recommend this process of making butter. Your arms will tell you why the next morning. You wont even be able to take your bra of that evening... But it meant Kathy and I justified this glorious butter on our scones (evil grin).

It was so easy. My previous research of making butter was suppressed quickly with complicated explanations and processes. This.was.easy.

Pour cream into a bowl. I put about 250 mls here... and start beating...

It starts to look like thick cream... keep beating

It starts to look like it is curdling... Keep beating... it even starts to change colour... a bit of yellow... keep beating...


Then suddenly wa la! Butter and Butter Milk. Drain Butter milk to use and clean the butter of residual buttermilk in water.

Butter - pure butter. If you are used to salt in your butter (like me) just add a pinch of salt before you start beating... A pinch is all you need!



I mean seriously how easy is that? AND I know exactly what is in this butter.

Had a wonderful, fabulous and lovely weekend away. Was not long enough. They never are. Achieved what I hoped and more. Have another one planned for September - this time two states away. More on that later.

8 comments:

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

Just think of the workout your arms got making butter. It is a two for one deal!!!

Angie said...

Reminds me of when my mum made our butter with her old kenwood mixmaster.

Scones...yum!

Ange Moore said...

Homemade butter - might have to give that a go!

knitgirl66 said...

I used to make butter with the kids when in worked in Children's Services. We used a small plastic jar with a large marble in with the cream - lid on and shake, shake ,shake. In a little while, yummy butter.

Jo in TAS said...

I accidentally made butter once after I overwhipped the cream!! Yummy!!

Tanya Murray said...

Ah butter...my Achilles heel. You can keep your chocolate, just give me a slab of butter. I'm like a cat with catnip.

Deb said...

Thats looks fabulous Sarah. I am thinking about doing as cheese making course soon too. Should be fun.

Jan Gartlan said...

Wow, it looks yum!